Pages

Monday, July 23, 2018

Manna 4 Lempira Backpacks 2018

Sponsoring a child with Manna 4 Lempira means not only sending letters and financial support to be a tangible reminder of the love of God in a child's life, but also getting the chance to send a backpack filled with school supplies and gifts every year to encourage their God-given potential through education and the simple joys of childhood.  I love watching my sponsored children learn of the possibilities that they have as children of the King.

I intended to make a full backpack packing guide showing every single item for each of my 11 backpacks like last year.  I really did.  The lighting in my house wasn't cooperating, I kept changing my mind about which items went to who; and honestly, my heart was just more excited about choosing and praying over the gifts than I was about photographing them this time around.  More than anything, I want to glorify God.  So, I followed this prompting.  I did still want to share my excitement and share ideas with others who are packing; so I took a few pictures of my favorite items grouped together and wrote out the best tips that I've learned over the past year.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to know where to purchase anything in this post.


For starters, each of my backpacks contain the required items: 8 one-subject notebooks (I did 2 composition and 6 spiral; but any combination is allowed), 20 pencils, 10 pens (only required for older children), 2 packs of crayons or colored pencils, 1 sharpener, 1 ruler, 1 pair of scissors, 2 glue sticks, extra erasers, 2 tooth brushes, tooth paste, soap, a wash cloth, a hair brush or comb, and deodorant (only required for older children.)  I also chose to include knee socks and under shirts for their school uniforms, photos from our last visit, and a bible marking kit in each backpack.  You can view the contents of the bible marking kits here.



Aside from the items that go in every bag, my goal was to be sure each child got at least one toy, one craft, and one book or learn-to-read activity.  Most of them ended up with more than this.

Out of all of the gifts in my backpacks this year, I was most excited about the bibles.  Two of my 12 year old girls, Wendy and Estefani, recently expressed desires to have their own bibles.  Estefani has been borrowing one from a friend and loves to read it with her family.  Wendy shares a bible with her sister and often uses it to preach in the children's services at church.  I am sending them each a pretty pink leather bound bible, as well as a bible for Estefani's brother, Marcio.  Manna 4 Lempira does provide each child with a paperback bible.  However, Wendy joined the program after the most recent distribution.  Estefani and Marcio are not part of the program.  I previously sponsored Estefani through another organization that shut down; and we now keep in touch independently.  The Manna 4 Lempira team lives close enough to deliver things to her.


Aside from the bibles, the books I chose were primarily engineering themed.  I love to get the kids excited about different career opportunities for the future and show them all the things they can do.  For this reason, most of my older girls are getting the new American Girl book about a little girl who dreams of being an astronaut.  My boys, Marcio and Marcos, are getting books about the history of engineering and technology.  I'm also sending some career and futuristic themed gifts- including an engineering Lego set, a plane building kit, plastic glow stars to hang in their bedrooms, and lip balm shaped like robots.


The other books I'm sending are A Young Woman After God's Own Heart for some of my teen girls (which has journaling questions at the end of each chapter), A Young Woman's Guide to Discovering Her Bible for my girls who are getting new bibles, The Jesus Storybook Bible for 8 year old Amy, and What Happens When I Talk to God? for 10 year old Ashley.  Amy is also getting some bilingual puzzles and a word search of her favorite cartoon character.  During our recent visit, Amy asked me to teach her English words.  The word search is in English- and I wrote the Spanish words below.  The few children who cannot read are getting Spanish flash cards.  I also highly recommend this Spanish picture dictionary that teaches how each letter sounds by showing words that start with that letter.  I sent these last year.  The few other books shown here (Kira-Kira and Peter Pan) didn't make it in due to space and will be saved for next year.


For toys, my newest girls, Wendy and Ashley, will be receiving their very first dolls.  I found this Hearts 4 Hearts doll on clearance at Target for Wendy, and it is the perfect size for a backpack.  Ashley's doll isn't shown here because I sponsored her after taking the picture, but it is the same size.  Amy, who has already received a bigger doll, is getting a plush mermaid doll that matches her backpack.  All of my other children, ranging from ages 8-16, have already gotten dolls and stuffed animals in previous years.  This year, they will be getting outdoor toys such as jump ropes, jacks, soccer balls, and footballs.  For crafts, I chose coloring books for most of the kids.  You can find regular coloring books at most dollar stores.  I also found some more challenging Lisa Frank coloring books for my older girls, and fashion design books for a few.  This one even matches Ashley's doll.  I added some scented markers and gel pens for my Carmen, who loves to decorate her letters.  The kids who are getting smaller toys are getting bigger craft kits- beads, nail design sets, and Fashion Plates.  My hope is that these gifts will both keep them entertained long term and teach them new skills.






Some necessities I packed as needed include water bottles, cups, utensils, solar lanterns, clothing, and shoes.   The water bottle and lantern were important for me to pack for my Carmen after seeing the crazy long hike to her house, which seems like it would be near impossible in the dark.  Cups and utensils were also something she listed as a need in her household.  Plastic shoes like Crocs or jelly shoes are helpful for wet weather and crossing streams.  And clothing just seems like a constant need.  My 14 year old told me that her favorite gift in last year's backpack was a dress.  The tennis shoes shown here didn't end up making it into the bag due to space, so they were donated to be used for a child who doesn't have a sponsor.  I have had a few children tell me they need tennis shoes to be able to play with their soccer balls.


My favorite part by far was praying over each item and how it would impact each specific child as I packed.  I still plan to add some charm bracelets and hair accessories that I pick up at the beach this summer; but everything else is complete.  Comment below and share what you are packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment